Thursday, November 10, 2011

My Journey Through College

My journey started 4 years ago when I decided I was going to go to college and get my associates degree in Visual Communications.  When I started school I was coming out of an abusive relationship in which I had lost 2 of my kids because my ex used a friend that was a lawyer to his advantage. I had moved down to Louisiana to try and get a fresh start. I wanted to go back to school to better myself but to also show the 3 children I still had with me that anything is possible as long as you put your mind too it.  

In my very first class I was reading the biographies that the other students were posting and ran across one from a student that lived right down the road from me. I am sure you all know where this is going..... That fellow student is now my husband.  We started out talking on the phone then it went to helping each other with assignments and next thing you knew were stuck to each others hips and moving in together.  Hurricane Gustave brewed up and was headed right for us so we decided to pack up and leave that is how we wound up back in my home state (Nebraska).  We got married July 30th of this year and it has been crazy with everything that went on but life is AWESOME. 

Can you imagine being a full time mommy, homemaker, college student and planning a wedding?!?! Ah yes it was very stressful but I wouldn't change it for the world! I struggled with a couple of health issues during school but still sat here and did my homework and turned it all in on time even with a 101 fever!  I am a very hard headed person but this was all about pushing through and reaching that goal.  There were many times that I wanted to give up and not do it anymore but today I have to say that I am so very glad I did not give up! 

The point is I endured a lot of bumps in the road but I kept pushing through.  When I was done with my associates program I took a mandatory 2 week break and jumped right into my bachelor program. Out of the 4 years of schooling I have completed that 2 week break was the only break I ever took and I was allowed to take up to 2 weeks a semester but never did.  My academic advisor would always say to me "Tory you simply amaze me no matter how hard things get in your personal life you still stick with school and push through it all, you simply amaze me." The biggest challenge through school that I had to experience was when my daughter got really sick while we were still in Louisiana and no one could figure out what was wrong with her. They thought it was a digestive problem and she underwent a nuclear medicine test, numerous colonoscopy, we were in the hospital once a month for at least a week at a time. When we moved to Nebraska I found a doctor that diagnosed her with in 2 months and just in the nick of time to, she was down to 52 pounds and was even loosing her hair.  I was told that if we didn't hurry and figure out what was going on she was going to die.  I had lost it, a parents worse nightmare.  3 years down the road and she is now 109 pounds and doing awesome. I am so very thankful to have a home, healthy kids, a loving husband and now a bachelors degree. 


No comments:

Post a Comment